Honey-Mustard Broccoli Salad
Makes 4 servings
Protein- and fiber-rich black beluga lentils make this salad
totally satisfying. The lentils are soaked overnight to shorten cooking time and enhance digestibility.
- ½ cup black beluga lentils, rinsed and soaked 8 hours or overnight
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (4 cups)
- 1 small red onion or shallot, sliced into rings (⅔ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 4 Tbs. cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. raw honey or agave nectar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1. To make Salad: Drain and rinse lentils, then place in a medium stockpot with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 18 minutes. Add broccoli, cover pan, and steam 2 to 3 minutes, or until broccoli and lentils are al dente.
2. Meanwhile, to make Honey-Mustard Dressing: whisk together all ingredients in bowl until smooth.
3. Drain off any remaining liquid from broccoli and lentils, and transfer to large bowl. Add dressing, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve garnished with onion and almonds.
June 2013 p.55