Hot and Sour Napa Cabbage
30 minutes or fewer
This classic Chinese side dish can be ready in less than 15 minutes, slicing time included. It goes well with milder non-Asian main dishes too.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 whole dried chiles de arbol, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 head napa cabbage, leaves cut into 1-inch-thick slices (2 lb.)
- 3 Tbs. Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 2 green onions, green parts thinly sliced (2 Tbs.), for garnish
Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add chiles, garlic, and ginger, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cabbage, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Season with salt, if desired, and give one last shake or stir. Serve garnished with green onions.
March 2010 p.75