Huli Huli Tofu
Huli means “turned” and describes a marinade that is commonly used on rotisserie-cooked chicken. This veg-friendly version features tofu.
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbs. wheat-free low-sodium tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 Tbs. dark brown sugar or maple syrup
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm or super-firm tofu, drained, each block cut into 3 slabs
- 1 small onion, sliced into ½-inch-thick rings
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Whisk together tamari, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, sherry, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup water in 13- x 9-inch casserole dish. Add tofu, turning to coat with sauce, and top cutlets with onion rings. Bake 30 minutes, flipping tofu once or twice.
2. Meanwhile preheat grill or grill pan. Grill tofu cutlets 3 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with sauce.
3. Transfer cutlets to serving platter, and top with onion rings and remaining sauce. Garnish with parsley.
July/August 2013 p.56