Israeli Couscous and Broccoli Bowl
30 minutes or fewer
If you can’t find Israeli couscous for this colorful dinner, substitute orzo pasta.
Couscous and Broccoli
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- ½ Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat Israeli couscous
- 1 lb. broccoli, chopped into 1-inch florets
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1. To make Sauce: Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomato paste, and sauté 30 seconds. Add onion and salt, and sauté 10 minutes. Add red peppers, garlic, and paprika; cook 5 minutes. Transfer to food processor, and purée with parsley, almonds, and vinegar.
2. To make Couscous and Broccoli: cook couscous according to package directions.
3. Steam broccoli 5 minutes, or until tender. Toss with oil and lemon juice in bowl. Divide couscous among bowls. Top with broccoli, then 3 Tbs. Sauce.
September 2013 p.34