Italian Stuffed Peppers
30 minutes or fewer
Lillian Kayte, a retired food writer from Gainesville, Fla., used to develop recipes for VT (such as her famous Thanksgiving
No-Turkey ‘Turkey’, featured in November 1995). We were stoked when she recently shared this recipe for stuffed peppers, which makes great finger food at parties.
- 8 4-inch Cubanelle or Italian frying peppers
- 1 ¾ cups coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup flax oil
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped black olives
- 3 Tbs. toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. small capers, drained
- 2 Tbs. chopped raisins
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Slice peppers lengthwise, and remove seeds and ribs. Set aside.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Divide mixture among peppers. Arrange peppers, stuffing side up, in single layer in baking dish. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until just tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.
March 2012 p.12