Italian-Style Roasted Vegetables
SERVES 4 TO 6
Many Moosewood patrons love the restaurants very versatile roasted vegetables, served with several variations. This version is dressed with Italian
seasonings. Select at least four different vegetables, or follow the combination below. To speed preparation, parboil the harder, longer-cooking vegetables, such as sweet potatoes and potatoes, before roasting them.
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks or cut in half lengthwise and sliced crosswise into ½-inch-thick semicircles
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks or sliced as above
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks or cut on diagonal
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks or cut on diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Parboil potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots in boiling water to cover for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain well. In large bowl, combine parboiled vegetables with onions, zucchini and bell peppers.
- To make Italian Dressing: Place ingredients in bowl, and whisk together or purée in blender.
- Toss vegetables with dressing, and place in single layer on large unoiled baking tray.
- Bake vegetables, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender, about 45 minutes.
This dish is perfect for pairing with Viognier. One of the best wineries in Virginia makes one of the best American Viogniers. Try Horton Vineyards Viognier.