Jamaican Tempeh Patties
Makes 12 patties
These savory turnovers can also be filled with drained Callaloo
, and the dough is surprisingly easy to make.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 oz. vegan margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. ground allspice, optional
- ¼ cup dark rum, optional
- ½ cup chopped green onions
1. To make Crust: Combine flour, curry powder, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ¾ cup cold water; process until dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add tempeh, curry powder, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, if desired, and 1½ cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and cook until liquid has evaporated. Cool, then stir in green onions.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 6-inch circles. Brush edges of circles with water, and place 1½ Tbs. Filling in centers. Fold circles in half, crimping edges with fork tines to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
June 2008 p.83