Japanese Cucumber and Wakame Salad
This simple preparation is typical of a sunomono, any of a variety of vinegary cold dishes served as part of Japanese meals.
- ½ cup dried wakame seaweed
- 1 medium hothouse (English) cucumber, thinly sliced (1 ½ cups)
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs. natural sugar, such as
- coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. tan or black sesame seeds
1. Cover wakame with hot water, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Place cucumber slices in colander, sprinkle with salt, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Cover cucumber slices with clean tea towel, and press down on cucumbers in colander to drain excess liquid.
3. Drain wakame, and transfer to medium bowl. Add cucumbers, vinegar, and sugar; mix well. Marinate 30 minutes or more, stirring several times.
4. Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving.
September 2014 p.50