Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Maple Pecans
This hearty salad
shows how well pomegranates go with other fall ingredients. Tuscan kale
is also known as lacinato kale or dinosaur kale.
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely minced (1 ½ Tbs.)
- 1 12-oz. bunch Tuscan kale, deveined and sliced in ½-inch-thick ribbons (8 cups)
- 1 large red apple, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced (1½ cups)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1½ oz. aged Gouda, thinly shaved with vegetable peeler (⅓ cup)
1. To make Maple Pecans: Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and toss until well coated. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake 12 minutes, or until toasted and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Let cool to room temperature.
2. To make Vinaigrette: whisk together all ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To assemble Salad: Place kale in large bowl; gently massage 3 Tbs. Vinaigrette into leaves to ensure even coverage. Gently toss with apple and pomegranate seeds, and transfer to serving bowl. Top with Maple Pecans and shaved Gouda.
October 2013 p.64