Kale Shorba with Cucumber Raita Swirl
Shorba is a thick Indian
soup that’s laced with spices. To add texture and protein, stir 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or lentils into the puréed soup.
- 1 Tbs. canola oil or butter
- 1 8-oz. bunch kale, stems removed, leaves and stems chopped separately
- 1 medium potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. peeled and sliced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup tomato purée
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt or nondairy plain yogurt
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. salt
1. To make Shorba: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add kale stems, potato, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, coriander, and turmeric, and sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, then add kale leaves. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes more, or until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in tomato purée, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Blend mixture in batches in blender or food processor until very smooth.
3. To make Raita: stir together yogurt, cucumber, cumin, and salt in bowl. Swirl 3 Tbs. Raita into each bowl of Shorba.
January/February 2011 p.81