Kefir Okroshka (Russian Cold Vegetable Soup)
This is a heartier cold soup than most, thanks to the steamed potatoes and carrots. Serve with dark rye or pumpernickel bread.
- 3 cups plain kefir
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh dill
- ½ lb. red or boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 6 oz. carrots (2 medium), peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 Persian cucumber or ½ English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup radishes, halved and thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 1 cup arugula or radish leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Stir together kefir, green onions, and dill in pitcher or medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill at least 1 hour (or overnight).
2. Steam potatoes and carrots in steamer basket over boiling water 7 to 8 minutes, or until tender, but still firm. Transfer to bowl to cool.
3. Add cucumber, radishes, and arugula to potato mixture. Pour kefir mixture over vegetables, and stir to combine.
July/August 2012 p.30