Key Lime Pie
The secret to this pie is cream of coconut, most commonly used by bartenders to make piña coladas. Don't confuse it with coconut milk, which is unsweetened and thinner. Chill well before serving.
- 1 ½ cups crushed vegan graham crackers, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 cup cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 7 oz. extra-firm tofu (half pkg.), drained
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- 2 tsp. grated lime zest
- Lime slices, for garnish
To make Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together crushed graham crackers, margarine, and agave nectar in bowl. Press mixture into bottom and sides of 9-inch pie dish using fingers or bottom of drinking glass. Place Crust in freezer while oven preheats.
2. Bake Crust 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
To make Filling:
3. Place cream of coconut, cashews, tofu, lime juice, cornstarch, agave nectar, and lime zest in blender or food processor; blend until very smooth (press mixture through strainer if blender cannot completely blend cashews).
4. Transfer Filling to saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, or until Filling thickens, stirring constantly.
5. Spread Filling in Crust. Chill at least 4 hours before serving. Serve garnished with lime slices and crushed graham crackers.
February 2010 p.52