Kitchari with Cauliflower & Peas
This nourishing dish resembles risotto in texture. If you don't have ghee, you can substitute regular butter.
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 & ½ tsp. ghee, divided
- ½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ cup basmati rice, rinsed
- ⅓ cup split mung beans
- ¾ tsp. turmeric
- ½ cup frozen baby peas, defrosted
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Heat 2 Tbs. ghee in saucepan over medium-high heat. When ghee is hot, stir in ginger and cumin seeds. Fry cumin seeds a few seconds, then add cauliflower, and stir-fry 4 minutes, until cauliflower is slightly browned and partially cooked. Stir in rice and beans, and fry 1 minute. Add 3 & 1/2 cups water and turmeric and bring to full boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.
3. Add peas and salt, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until rice and beans are soft. Stir in remaining 1 & 1/2 tsp. ghee just before serving.