Korean Buckwheat Noodle Bowl
30 minutes or fewer
Pear is an unexpected addition to this subtly sweet and spicy dish.
- 4 oz. dried Korean buckwheat noodles or soba noodles
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, chopped
- 1 cup julienned English cucumber
- ½ cup grated daikon radish
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. chile paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1 green onion, chopped (2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water, then drain again. Transfer to bowl, and toss with pear, cucumber, and radish.
2. Whisk soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, chile paste, and garlic with 1 Tbs. water in small bowl. Pour sauce over noodles, and toss to mix. Serve garnished with egg wedges, green onion, and sesame seeds.
September 2014 p.28