Lattice-Top Plum Pie
paste (available in the baking section of most supermarkets) thickens the filling and adds a sweet, nutty touch to this woven-top pie.
- 1 ¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 Tbs. vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, cut into small cubes
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 lb. whole, ripe plums, pitted and sliced (5 cups)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 oz. almond paste, cut into bits
- 2 tsp. Demerara or turbinado sugar
1. To make Crust: Whisk together flours, sugar, and salt in bowl. Rub margarine into flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in 8 Tbs. ice water and almond extract until crust comes together. Divide dough in half, and shape into 2 disks. Wrap each in wax paper, and chill 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Invert 1 dough disk onto large sheet of wax paper. Roll 1 dough disk into 12-inch circle, and press into 10-inch pie pan. Prick bottom of Crust all over with fork. Bake 15 minutes, remove from oven, and cool.
3. To make Filling: Toss together plums, sugar, allspice, and cinnamon in large bowl. Spoon into Crust, and dot with bits of almond paste.
4. Remove second dough disk from refrigerator, and roll into 12-inch circle. Cut dough into long 1-inch-wide strips with knife or fluted pastry wheel. Lay strips in lattice pattern over top of fruit, gently pressing ends of strips onto edges of bottom Crust. Trim excess dough from edges. Coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle lattice with sugar. Bake pie on baking sheet 50 minutes, or until Filling is bubbly and Crust is golden. Cool on wire rack.
November 2011 p.56