Lemon-Ginger Glazed Beets and Carrots with Toasted Walnuts
This tasty, colorful recipe can work as a side dish, or it can become a flavorful entrée by adding slices of browned tempeh or soy sausage just before serving.
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ tsp. crystallized ginger, crushed
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lb. beets, trimmed, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ lb. carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into ½-inch slices
- 6 small shallots, peeled and halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Combine lemon juice, brown sugar, both gingers and oil with 3 tablespoons water. Stir well to blend, dissolve sugar and moisten crystallized ginger.
- Put beets, carrots and shallots in slow cooker, and pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and cook on low until vege-tables are soft, 6 to 8 hours. To serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
OVEN METHOD: Prepare lemon-ginger mixture as directed. Preheat oven to 375F. Place beets, carrots and shallots in ovenproof dish; pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bake until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.