30 minutes or fewer
Whipped egg whites keep these lemony pancakes light. Serve with fresh berries and honey
or maple syrup.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese (8 oz.)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup millet flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 4 Tbs. butter or coconut oil, divided
1. Whisk together ricotta, egg yolks, sugar, and lemon zest in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, potato starch, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture, and fold in with spatula.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer 5 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake into pan. Cook 3 minutes, or until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip, and cook 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining butter and batter.
June 2013 p.34