Lemony Linzer Cookies
Nut flours are common ingredients in Central and Eastern European cookies such as this Austrian favorite.
1. Combine all-purpose flour, almond flour, and confectioners’ sugar in bowl. Add margarine, and mix with electric mixer on low until mixture is crumbly.
2. Whisk together agave nectar, lemon zest, egg replacer, and 2 Tbs. water in small bowl. Stir in almond extract and vanilla extract. Add agave mixture to flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Shape dough into smooth disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 10 days.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
4. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on well-floured work surface. Cut dough into 48 hearts using 2-inch heart-shaped cutter. Transfer hearts to baking sheets. Cut heart-shaped holes in centers of 24 cookies using 1-inch heart-shaped cutter. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown around edges. (Cookies with holes will cook faster.) Cool on baking sheets 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to wire rack with spatula to cool.
5. Return cookies with holes to baking sheet, and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
6. Line up remaining cookies on work surface. Spoon 1 tsp. raspberry jam on top of each solid cookie. Place confectioners’ sugar-dusted cookies on top.