30 minutes or fewer
For a heartier snack or light lunch, spoon this flavorful salad
into whole-wheat pita bread and top with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 medium-size carrot, finely diced (about ¾ cup)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (about ⅔ cup)
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- romaine lettuce leaves, for garnish
1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil in large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils, and reduce heat to medium low. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. Drain well. Spread lentils on large baking sheet to cool.
2. Toss lentils, carrot, green onions, celery, bell pepper, cilantro, parsley, garlic and lemon zest in large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon salad into bowls lined with lettuce leaves.