Lentil-Vegetable Super Soup
This nourishing soup
contains not only healthy amounts of iron and calcium but also a big dose of complete protein, thanks to the beans and rice. Try the crumbled seaweed garnish on other soups and stews.
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz. bag lentils
- 10 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 15-oz. can navy beans
- 2 15-oz. cans stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup dry brown rice
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- Dash of oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 0.2-oz. pkg. dried nori seaweed, crumbled for garnish
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- To serve, ladle portions into individual bowls, and sprinkle with dried seaweed.
ALSO PER SERVING: 93mg calcium; 5mg iron; 0 IU vitamin d; 0mcg vitamin b12; 2mg zinc