Live Hot and Sour Soup
30 minutes or fewer
You can heat this soup
until it is warm and it will still be considered "live," according to vegan chefs Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray.
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- 3 Tbs. nama shoyu or soy sauce
- 5 dried apricots
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 Tbs. organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup diced cucumber or zucchini
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced (2 Tbs.)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. raw agave nectar
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Stir together sprouts and nama shoyu, and let marinate while you prepare soup.
2. Soak apricots in bowl of boiling water 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Place apricots, tomatoes, green onion, vinegar, ginger, and 3 cups water in blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl, and stir in cucumber, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, agave nectar, cayenne pepper, and sprout mixture.
March 2010 p.36