Maple-Balsamic Tempeh with Chestnuts and Golden Onions
30 minutes or fewer
Stock up on chestnuts while they're in stores for the holidays so you can make this dish throughout the winter.
- 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, each piece halved
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅔ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 12 jarred chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs. pure maple syrup
1. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and thyme, and sauté 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
2. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, and cook 3 minutes on each side. Add soy sauce and 2/3 cup water. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook 6 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add broth, chestnuts, vinegar, maple syrup, and onion. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes more.
December 2011 p.30