Maple Cornbread Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
A slightly sweet cornbread helps tame the heat of spicy dishes such as chili.
- ¼ cup nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Whisk together soymilk, margarine, maple syrup, and vinegar in bowl. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture. Fold in corn kernels.
3. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, and bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into muffins comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then unmold, and serve warm.
February 2010 p.52