Mediterranean Pitas with Muffaletta Relish
30 minutes or fewer
Julie DeMatteo, a retired school teacher from Clementon, N.J., modeled the relish in her colorful pita pocket after that from muffaletta—a classic New Orleans sandwich piled high with a marinated olive salad. She added a sprinkling of wheat germ for “nutrition and crunch.”
- 1 6-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped, marinade reserved
- ½ cup diced plum tomato
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup diced roasted red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- ¼ cup chopped stuffed green olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (2 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 6-inch pita rounds, cut in half crosswise
- ½ cup wheat germ
1. To make Relish: combine all ingredients, including reserved marinade, in medium bowl.
2. To make Hummus: blend all ingredients and 2 Tbs. water in blender until smooth.
3. To assemble Pitas: Spread 3 Tbs. Hummus into each pita half, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. wheat germ. Top with Relish, dividing evenly among Pitas. Serve immediately.
June 2011 p.10