Mega Veggie Burrito
30 minutes or fewer
These veggie-filled burritos become a hearty lunch entrée, and they pair nicely with sliced melons and strawberries. For a complementary starter, whip up a tomato-rich gazpacho in summer, or offer a thick cheddar cheese soup
in cold weather.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 oz. seitan, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 tomatillos, diced, optional
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbs. taco seasoning or chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño chili, minced, optional
- 4 10-inch-round flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat, and add oil. When hot, place seitan slices in oil, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add corn, mushrooms, green pepper, tomatillos, if using, salsa, taco seasoning, cumin, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in coriander leaves, and remove from heat.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese and one-quarter amount of jalapeño, if using, on tortilla, and broil until cheese melts and bubbles. Remove from broiler, spoon on seitan mixture, sprinkle with one-quarter avocado and wrap. Repeat with remaining ingredients until used up. Serve while hot.