Melt-In-Your-Mouth Berry Trifle
Even though you can use fresh berries in this trifle, frozen work better because they give off more juicy goodness for the chunks of pound cake to absorb.
- 2 10-oz. bags organic frozen strawberries, thawed
- 2 10-oz. bags organic frozen blueberries, thawed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- ⅔ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 16-oz. fat-free pound cake
- 1 cup raspberry jam
1. Toss together strawberries, blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in large bowl. Combine yogurt, sour cream and vanilla in separate bowl.
2. Stand pound cake on side. Cut cake into 4 thin slices lengthwise. Spread first slice with 1/4 cup jam, and top with second slice. Continue with remaining slices and jam, and finish with layer of jam on top of cake. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3. Line bottom and sides of clear trifle dish or large glass soufflé dish with prepared cake slices. Spoon in half of fruit. Top with half of yogurt mixture. Layer with remaining cake slices, fruit and yogurt mixtures. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 4 hours, or overnight, to allow trifle to set.