Melted Leek Champ
- 2½ lb. Yukon gold potatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts sliced ¼-inch thick (3 cups)
- 1¼ cups low-fat milk
- ⅛ tsp. grated nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
1. Bring potatoes and enough salted water to cover to a boil in pot over medium heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
2. Heat butter and leeks in skillet over medium heat 10 minutes, or until leeks begin to brown. Add 2 Tbs. water, and simmer 15 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, and white pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes. Transfer to large bowl, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Stir in leek mixture.December 2011 p.41