To make this a vegan dish, simply replace the Cornbread Topping with the Basic Pie Pastry
: Drape it over the filling, and tuck in the sides just before baking.
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 12-oz. pkg. Mexican-style soy crumbles
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
1. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, flour, and soy crumbles, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (If seasoning is too mild for you, add 1/2 tsp. or so each of chili powder and cumin.)
2. Transfer mixture to greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. To make Cornbread Topping: Combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl, and mix well; set aside. Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl until pale; whisk in buttermilk and oil. Set aside. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
4. Make well in dry ingredients, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined. Add green onions and jalapeño. Fold in egg whites. Pour over vegetable mixture.
5. Bake until topping is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
February 2006 p.70