Lori Wyeth's recipe began nearly a decade ago as a beef lasagna. "The beef changed to turkey, then soy crumbles, then beans as my eating habits changed," says Lori. "I added sautéed veggies, and now this is my favorite dish!" Lori, a radiation therapist, often treats her colleagues to veg meals. Honorable Mention, 2006 recipe contest.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups diced onion, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ½ Tbs. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbs. chopped jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp. cumin and coriander, and cook 5 minutes. Purée onions with beans, cilantro and lime juice in blender.
3. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté remaining onion in oil 5 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini, and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, jalapeño and remaining cumin, and cook 3 minutes. Add salsa, and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Layer 4 tortillas, 1/2 bean mixture and 1/2 vegetable mixture in prepared pan. Repeat, and top with cheese. Bake 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted.