Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake
Blogger Hannah Kaminski invented this cake during what she describes as one very cold and difficult winter: “Lemons to me embody edible sunshine, so I just piled on the juice and zest.” If you can’t find Meyer lemons, substitute regular lemons.
- 1 Tbs. vegan margarine, melted
- 3 ½ cups plus 2 Tbs. flour, divided
- 1 Tbs. whole flaxseeds, ground
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1 Tbs. grated Meyer lemon zest
- ½ cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cups light agave nectar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups roasted, unsalted cashew pieces
- ⅓ cup light agave nectar
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour Bundt pan with margarine and 2 Tbs. flour.
2. Whisk together remaining 3 1/2 cups flour, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk to combine.
3. Whisk together soymilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice in bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in agave nectar and oil. Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center of Cake comes out clean. Cool in pan, then unmold.
4. To make Icing: Blend all ingredients in blender 5 minutes. Strain through sieve, then drizzle over Cake.
July/August 2011 p.54