Middle Eastern Lentil-Bulgur Loaf
Flaxseeds, valued as a plant source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, replace the usual eggs and bind the loaf. If you prefer, you can substitute 2 eggs for the flaxseeds and water.If desired, use a disposable aluminum loaf pan. Bake loaf up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate in pan. Reheat, covered with foil, in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes. Make garlic mayonnaise up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate in a covered bowl or plastic food storage container.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with sheet of parchment or wax paper and lightly coat paper with cooking spray.
- In food processor or blender, process flaxseeds to coarse powder. Add 1/3 cup cold water and process until mixture is blended, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of work bowl with rubber spatula. Pour into small bowl, cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- In medium bowl, combine bulgur 1/2 teaspoon salt and boiling water. Let stand until bulgur is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Drain mixture in sieve, pressing out excess moisture. Set aside.
- While bulgur is standing, bring large saucepan of water to a boil. Add lentils and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- In food processor, pulse parsley until chopped. Add bread and process until coarse crumbs form. Add to onion mixture.
- Add tofu to food processor and process until smooth. Add reserved flaxseed mixture, 1 cup cooked lentils, lemon juice, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl with onion mixture.
- Using rubber spatula, stir in remaining cooked lentils and soaked bulgur until well combined. Scrape mixture into prepared pan, spreading evenly and pressing down. Bake until top is lightly browned and firm to the touch, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make garlic mayonnaise: In medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Whisk well before serving.
- Transfer loaf to wire rack and let cool in pan 5 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen; invert serving platter over loaf. Protecting your hands with oven mitts, firmly grasp pan and platter together and turn over. Remove pan; peel off paper. Garnish with parsley and serve loaf hot or at room temperature with garlic mayonnaise.