Mini Dagwood Sandwich
Dagwood Bumstead of the Blondie comic strip loves his mile-high sandwiches with layers and layers of lettuce, cheeses and deli meats. This vegetarian take on the comic classic is shorter but with a plentiful filling. Use a bread of substance, such as a sourdough, and be sure to use slices from the center of the loaf so the slices are of uniform size. Offer this sandwich at a casual get-together and, of course, use whichever combinations and in whatever amounts of ingredients you wishthis recipe is only a suggestion. In fact, you can come up with other ingredients, and that would work as well. Possible accompaniments include tomato soup and all-American ice cream sundaes.
30 MINUTES OR LESS
- Put bread slices on flat surface. Arrange pepper, mesclun, red onion, tomatoes, pickles and cucumbers in readied piles. Starting with the bottom layer, spread mayonnaise on top side of bread, and layer with cucumbers, 1 cheese slice at an angle and strips of pickles lengthwise on bread.
- Place second slice of bread on filling, spread top side with mustard and layer with sliced red onion and “bologna.”
- Place third slice of bread on filling, and spread top side with mayonnaise and relish and layer with red pepper slices, lettuce and 2 slices “ham.”
- Place fourth slice of bread on filling, and spread top side with mustard and layer with tomato slices, 1 slice cheese at an angle and 8 slices “pepperoni.”
- Spread underside of fifth slice of bread with mayonnaise, and place on top of stack. Skewer sandwich layers together with a 12-inch-long bamboo skewer or metal skewer, and serve.