Minted Lemonade Punch
Pimm’s, a British liqueur, adds a faintly herbal and tea-like flavor to this drink. For a virgin variation, omit the Pimm’s and the sparkling water, and mix the syrup with 3 cups cold-brewed white tea.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup firmly packed mint sprig
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ¼ cups lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- ½ cup halved green grapes
- ½ cup thin half-moon cucumber slices
- 1 ¼ cups Pimm’s liqueur (10 oz.)
- ¾ cup sparkling water
1. Place sugar, mint, lemon zest, and 1 cup water in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cool, then strain. Stir in lemon juice.
2. Pour lemon syrup into large pitcher. Stir in strawberries, grapes, cucumber, and Pimm’s liqueur.
3. To serve, divide mixture among 6 ice-filled glasses, and top each with 2 Tbs. sparkling water.
July/August 2011 p.48