Minted White Gazpacho
Cucumbers and white bread give this soup
its creamy consistency. For a supper soup, top it the Spanish way with diced, hard-boiled eggs, chopped green bell pepper and croutons.
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, soaked in cold water
- 4 large cucumbers (about 3 lbs.), peeled and seeded, divided
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (about 2 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 2 Tbs. snipped fresh chives, for garnish
1. Drain bread in colander, lightly press out excess water, and place in blender. Coarsely chop 3 cucumbers, and add to blender. Add mint, oil, vinegar, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Process mixture until thick and smooth.
2. Cut remaining cucumber into 1/2-inch dice and stir into soup; season with salt. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
3. Pour soup into bowls, garnish with chives and mint sprigs, and serve.