Miso Noodle Soup
30 minutes or fewer
Inspired by the popular Japanese miso soup, this calls for Japanese rice seasoning. Select a vegetarian product. To complement this soup, serve hot green tea
or sake, a light salad
and green tea ice cream.
- 4 ounces dried udon noodles
- 5 cups water
- 4 Tbs. red miso paste or to taste, whisked with 2 Tbs. warm water
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 large daikon, grated
- ½ lb. silken tofu, drained and cubed
- ½ bunch watercress, well rinsed and tough ends trimmed
- 1 small sheet toasted nori, cut into thin strips
- Vegetarian Japanese rice seasoning to taste
- Pinch shichimi togarashi to taste
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and cook noodles for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Bring 5 cups water to a boil over high heat. Slowly stir miso mixture into water. Reduce heat to medium; add mushrooms.
3. When mixture returns to a boil, remove from heat and ladle soup into large soup bowls. Divide noodles, daikon and tofu into equal portions; add to bowls.
4. Garnish with watercress leaves, nori and seasonings to taste.