Mixed Autumn Rolls
30 minutes or fewer
These refreshing appetizers are perfect for a warm day. Look for Korean red pepper powder at Korean markets.
Bean Paste Sauce
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. Korean toenjang bean paste or Japanese miso
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 8 pieces leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 pieces sesame leaves or fresh herb such as basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 oz. firm tofu, cubed
- ½ avocado, peeled
- ¼ red bell pepper, seeded
- 2½ oz. Korean white radish or daikon, julienned
- 2 oz. bean sprouts, raw
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Korean red pepper powder or paprika
- 2 small cucumbers, preferably Kirby variety, peeled and diced
- To make Bean Paste Sauce: Place brown sugar in heavy saucepan, and melt over medium-low heat, taking care not to burn. Remove from heat, and stir bean paste and sesame seeds into melted sugar.
- To make Wrapping: Trim edges of lettuce leaves to make them uniformly circular. Stack sesame or basil leaves alongside.
- To make Salad: Heat oil in skillet or wok over medium-high heat, and stir-fry tofu about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Slice avocado into 1½-inch-long pieces. Slice red pepper into 1 ½-inch-long pieces. Set aside.
- Combine white radish with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon red pepper powder. Set aside.
- Combine bean sprouts with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon salt.
- To assemble rolls, place 1 lettuce leaf on flat surface, and layer remaining ingredients in following order: sesame leaf, bean sprout mixture, radish mixture, tofu, cucumber, avocado and red pepper. Spoon about ½ teaspoon Bean Paste Sauce over top. Wrap by tucking ends in, and roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
With so many different flavors involved in these rolls, you can select a fruity white wine, a robust red wine or indulge in a pot of freshly brewed Korean green tea.