Mixed Vegetable Masala
This Indian-style stew gets spicier as it sits, so if you prefer milder flavors, serve it immediately.
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1½ tsp. Garam Masala
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (¾ lb.)
- ½ cup light coconut milk
1. Pulse ginger and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add tomatoes with juice and cayenne pepper, and pulse until combined. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 10 minutes, or until softened. Stir in potatoes, carrots, garam masala, and chili powder. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cauliflower, tomato mixture, and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut milk. Season with pepper.