Mock Green Papaya Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Because green papayas can be hard to find even in Asian grocery stores, this twist on a traditional Thai recipe calls for tart green apples instead. Sambal oelek, a chili paste from Southeast Asia, can be found with the hot sauces in many supermarkets or ordered online.
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated (6 cups)
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. lime juice, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 5-oz. bag watercress or arugula
1. Toss grated apples with 2 Tbs. lime juice in large bowl to keep from browning. Stir in green onions.
2. Whisk together remaining lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, and chili paste in small bowl. Add to grated apples, and toss to combine. Stir in cherry tomatoes, and serve over watercress.