Morning Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This streusel-topped treat tastes so rich, no one will guess it's chock-full of good-for-you ingredients such as oats and whole-wheat pastry flour.
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¾ cups fresh or canned pumpkin purée
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted
1. To make Coffee Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 10-inch square pan with nonstick spray.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in separate bowl until fluffy. Mix eggs and pumpkin into butter mixture. Gradually stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture. Spread in pan.
3. To make Streusel Topping: Mix all ingredients together until crumbly. Spread on coffee cake. Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes, then slice into squares, and serve.
October 2006 p.77