Moroccan Carrot Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Cumin and coriander seeds give this classic salad
a smoky flavor. You can use any nuts or dried fruit in place of the walnuts
and dried cherries.
- 6 cups grated carrots (about 8 carrots)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbs. whole cumin seeds
- 1 Tbs. whole coriander seeds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- dash of cayenne, optional
1. Toss carrots with lemon juice, apple juice and olive oil in medium bowl.
2. Combine walnuts, cumin seeds and coriander seeds in heavy skillet. Toast over medium-high heat 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring constantly.
3. Add walnut mixture, dried cherries, cilantro and cayenne, if desired, to carrot mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with cilantro sprigs.