Moroccan Potato, Carrot, and Chickpea Stew
30 minutes or fewer
This easy recipe uses baby carrots, ready-to-eat spinach, and canned beans.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large russet potato (12 oz.), peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 8 oz. peeled baby carrots (1 ¾ cups)
- 2 large shallots, diced (1 cup)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 15.5-oz. can low-sodium chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved, divided
- ⅓ cup dark raisins
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
- 4 oz. fresh spinach leaves (2 cups)
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potato, carrots, shallots, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add chickpea liquid, raisins, cumin, and pumpkin pie spice. Toss to blend, and bring to a simmer. Cover; simmer over medium-low heat 8 minutes. Mix in 1 cup chickpeas. Cover, and simmer 2 to 4 minutes more, or until potato and carrots are just tender.
2. Place remaining chickpeas on plate, and mash coarsely with fork. Mix crushed chickpeas and lemon juice into stew. Mound spinach on top. Toss gently 1 to 2 minutes, or until spinach is reduced in volume, adding more water, salt, and pepper, if desired. Divide stew among shallow bowls. Serve with lemon wedges.
January/February 2013 p.33