Moroccan Pumpkin and Lentils
This hearty North African stew will ward off the first chill of fall with its colorful ingredients and warm, spicy flavors.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, or 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 2-lb. pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½ cup tomato purée
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño, and sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent and golden. Add tomatoes, lentils and spices, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in pumpkin cubes, tomato purée and 2 1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook 40 minutes, or until pumpkin and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro, and serve hot.