Inspired by the “throw it all in a pot” stew technique, we threw in leftovers from the Autumn Vegetable Roast, plus
a few extras for a Moroccan-style meal. Serve over leftover orzo or couscous.
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup uncooked green lentils
- 1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ recipe Autumn Vegetable Roast with Orzo, or 4½ cups roasted vegetables and 2 cups cooked orzo or couscous
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Bring broth to a boil in large pot over high heat. Add tomatoes with juices, lentils, turmeric, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Cut roasted vegetables into bite-size pieces, and add to stew. Stir in cilantro and mint. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Spoon 1/3 cup orzo mixture into each of 6 bowls. Ladle stew over top, and serve with lemon wedges.
October 2011 p.44