Moroccan Whole Chickpea Hummus
Adding whole chickpeas to hummus gives this dip a hearty, chewy texture. Here the chickpeas are sautéed with onion and spices for extra flavor. For extra flavor, garnish with olive oil, chopped green chiles, and chopped cilantro.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced white onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground caraway seeds
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. curry powder
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 1 recipe Classic Hummus
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, salt, caraway, cumin, curry, and pepper; sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chickpeas; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice and 1/4 cup water, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley. Cool to room temperature.
2. Spread Classic Hummus in shallow dish, and mound chickpea mixture in center. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
September 2010 p.44