Lots of garlic and several zesty spices liven up this light and luscious casserole. A typical moussaka calls for a full cup of olive oil to fry the eggplantgrilling requires no oil and creates a much healthier dish.
3 large eggplants (4 lbs.), peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
1 large onion, chopped
5 large cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. fat-free ground soy 'meat'
28-oz. can low-sodium Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, liquid reserved
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
¾ cup fat-free egg substitute
½ cup dried bread crumbs
- Coat large skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add eggplant slices in batches and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side; remove to large plate. Recoat pan between batches. Set eggplant slices aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 3-quart lasagna pan or other large baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Coat another large skillet once with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir 15 seconds. Add soy "meat," breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with reserved liquid, rice, oregano, allspice, salt, pepper and half the parsley. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, combine egg substitute and remaining parsley. Mix well, then stir into "meat" sauce.
- Line bottom of prepared lasagna pan with single layer of eggplant slices. Spread half the "meat" sauce on top. Cover with remaining eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake until moussaka is starting to brown and is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler. Coat top of moussaka with cooking spray. Broil until bread crumbs are browned, about 1 minute. Serve hot.