Lots of garlic and several zesty spices liven up this light and luscious casserole. A typical moussaka calls for a full cup of olive oil to fry the eggplantgrilling requires no oil and creates a much healthier dish.
- 3 large eggplants (4 lbs.), peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. fat-free ground soy "meat"
- 28-oz. can low-sodium Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, liquid reserved
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ cup fat-free egg substitute
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs