Multipurpose Black Bean Filling
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large leeks, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1½ Tbs. ground cumin
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
1. Place beans and 5 cups cold water in bowl. Soak 5 hours, or overnight. Drain, reserving soaking liquid.
2. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray; heat over medium-low heat. Add leeks and bell pepper, and sprinkle with salt. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add enough water to soaking liquid to make 4 cups, then add liquid and beans to leek mixture. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until beans are soft, adding water if necessary. Mash some beans against side of pot to thicken. Serve sprinkled with queso fresco, in tortillas, or with chips.