Mushroom and Pappardelle Soup with Gremolata
30 minutes or fewer
Mascarpone is stirred into this noodle soup
just before serving to give it a luscious creaminess and cheesy tang.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced ¼-inch thick (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
- ¾ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 oz. pappardelle noodles
- 1 ½ cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1. To make Soup: Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning, then broth. Cover, and bring to a boil. Set aside 1/2 cup broth, then add noodles; simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green beans, and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk reserved 1/2 cup broth into mascarpone in bowl. Slowly stir mascarpone mixture into Soup.
3. To make Gremolata: pulse parsley, garlic, and lemon zest in food processor until finely chopped.
4. Ladle Soup into bowls. Garnish each with 2 tsp. Gremolata.
January/February 2012 p.30