Mushroom and Red Wine Gravy
Makes 2 cups
Try this sauce with tofu steaks, mashed potatoes, or polenta. If you like a mellower gravy, stir in a few tablespoons of cream at the end.
- ½ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 10 oz. cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine, such as Merlot
- ½ tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1. Pour 1 1/2 cups water over porcini in bowl; steep 30 minutes. Strain liquid through coffee filter, reserving liquid and mushrooms separately. Chop porcini.
2. Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add cremini mushrooms, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until browned. Uncover, add garlic, and cook 30 seconds.
3. Stir flour into mushrooms. Add 1/2 cup wine to pan, and scrape up brown bits. Stir in remaining 1 cup wine, reserved mushroom liquid, and porcini. Simmer 7 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by half. Stir in rosemary.
October 2011 p.77