Mushroom French Toast
A quick mushroom stroganoff sauce is ladled over thyme-flavored French toast for an early-autumn meal. If you want to serve this dish for brunch, you can make the mushroom sauce a day ahead, and then simply prepare the French toast right before serving.
- Preheat oven to broil. Broil challah slices on baking sheet 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, and 2 tsp. thyme in shallow dish; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add challah toast, and soak 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes, or until browned. Transfer mushrooms to bowl; set aside.
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in sherry, if using, and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes. Whisk in cream cheese, if using, and remaining 1 tsp. thyme; keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. butter in cast-iron skillet. Add bread slices, and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve each slice French toast with ¼ cup mushroom sauce.